The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tbear2-quotthey-are-direct-plus-loansquot-i-30692385.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question Re: Payment made on Direct Plus lo Date:  5/19/2013  8:13 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  8042 of 8174

tbear2: "They are Direct Plus loans."

I know not of Direct Plus Loans, so take what a I write below with a double dose of salt.

"Yes there is interest accumulating while they are Deferred... It is the Payment, not the Interest that is deferred.
My concern is that 2/3 of the unscheduled payment (intended to go against Principal) was credited to interest instead."

Why are you concerned? I assume that interest accrues on deferred interest, and if my assumption is correct, I am not sure I follow the reason for concern.

In addition, most commercial notes provide that payments will be applied first to accrued interest and then to principal.

The only way that I can see that this would make a difference is is deferred interest does nto accrue interest.

What does the Note that was signed say? And if there is a loan agreement, what does it say?

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us