The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Stock Market Losses - $3000/yr Date:  5/20/2013  10:30 PM
Author:  diegorgazzi Number:  118620 of 127641

Don't bother with LLC or Incorporation. Any amount of the loss can be used to offset capital gains. What you need to do is have gains to use up the losses. Any amount of losses can be applied against gains.

Well, in theory that's great news. But, there are years where the losses more than exceed the gains, and for a lot more than $3000. Is there anything else better than simply deducting a mere $3000 a year?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us