The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Deranged Monkey Criticism

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bloombergbw-astutely-points-out-today-that-the-30695437.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Technical Analysis Date:  5/21/2013  4:35 PM
Author:  MDCigan Number:  17176 of 20722

Bloomberg/BW astutely points out today that the long-term cap gains rate on gold and metals ETFs is 28%, or 40% higher than on regular stocks at 20%.

Ouch.

Good point...of course this is irrelevant for retirement accounts like rollover IRAs, and Roth IRAs.

It would be very interesting to see a breakdown of taxable investment assets versus tax-free investment assets broken out by total assets and income.

In my case, my limited client base has no "really wealthy" people, but one guy who I'd say fits the bill of very high upper middle class to lower upper class. His investment assets in tax-free accounts - his 401(k), his rollover IRA, his wife's rollover IRA, his Roth IRA, her Roth IRA is quite substantial. I actually don't know what he has in outside taxable investment assets but I doubt it is even half or even one third of his tax-free assets.

My Dad's investment assets are almost entirely in a rollover IRAs from his 25 years of saving in a 401(k).

I only point this out because I read and see a ton of stuff on tax consequences, and my instincts tell me it is a moot point for the middle class diligent saver who probably has most if not all his accumulation going on in tax-sheltered plans. Even the small business owner can direct a ton into SEP-IRAs. I think the ultra-wealthy probably need to be aware of various tax differences in different types of investmetns for probably a large segment of investors it is a moot point.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us