The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Charitable Contributions from an IRA Date:  5/25/2013  1:30 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  72280 of 88022

The tax law is very clear. A qualified donation directly to a charity from an IRA is not reported on your tax return. See Internal Revenue Code Section 408(d)(8). That lowers your AGI for medicare purposes as well.

Yes, you will get a 1099-R for that contribution. You leave it off the return and retain the appropriate documentation to show the IRS in case they question why it was left off.

In short, your Tax Pro #1 was wrong.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us