The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Charitable Contributions from an IRA Date:  5/25/2013  2:52 PM
Author:  RatioFool Number:  72281 of 78165

The tax law is very clear. A qualified donation directly to a charity from an IRA is not reported on your tax return. See Internal Revenue Code Section 408(d)(8). That lowers your AGI for medicare purposes as well.

Yes, you will get a 1099-R for that contribution. You leave it off the return and retain