The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-what-happens-when-we-have-an-offer-how-do-30703411.aspx

Subject:  Re: Five day home sale Date:  5/27/2013  5:56 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  125394 of 127464

Also, what happens when we have an offer? How do we close the deal? We probably need some professional to officiate the transaction. Who? How do we find him/her?

Frankly, I don't think much of the book if it didn't address these questions. Since you're asking these questions I'd suggest you sit down with a lawyer as step one of the process. It'll be worth the money.

If you want to go it alone, it can be done. The first thing you'll need is an offer and acceptance, IOW, a contract. When we sold my parents' house I went to a business forms outlet and bought a form suitable for my state. Today you can probably find one through an internet search.

From then on the purchaser's lender pretty much ran the operation, including suggesting a closing agent, but you can always find one yourself. In some places it's an escrow company, some places a title company, some places a lawyer.

Another silly question: we will not need to use the money from the sale right away. Where do we park it in the meantime? We don’t want to risk it, but it would be nice to get some interest.

You're not going to get much interest. Check www.bankrate.com to shop rates.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us