The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-either-case-i-have-one-question-the-2nd-30703667.aspx

Subject:  Re: Five day home sale Date:  5/27/2013  12:28 PM
Author:  FlyingDiver Number:  125398 of 127777

In either case, I have one question;
The 2nd edition was published in 1998 (I can't easily find when the 1st was published)...
If this system actually continued to work, why would the extremely competitive and creative industry of Realtors® not have fully integrated it already?

Either they have, and thus there is no longer any advantage to the DIY'er, or
It doesn't work (if it ever did,) and thus there is no longer any advantage to the DIY'er.

Big, established, human-intensive markets *DO* offer beatable vulnerabilities from time to time... but generally speaking, by the time its published (at all, let alone 1-2 decades later) the vulnerability has long been digested and eliminated.

Dave - I agree with you that if this really worked, Realtors® would be doing it. However, I have a theory on why it "appears" they're not.

Background - both of the last two houses we sold, they were on the market less than a week. Under five days, I think. So houses do sell that fast.

If the agent is a real pro - that is, they actually understand and implement an optimal strategy for preparing, pricing, and marketing a home, then fast sales would be the norm. Not always, because some properties just don't have the appeal, or there isn't enough demand.

But not all agents are pros. They're just not that invested in learning how to do it right. They don't want to put in the time effort. Also, many (most?) homeowners won't listen to their agents and do what they really need to do for a fast sale. They won't de-clutter. They won't de-personalize. They won't do the cosmetic upgrades that draw in a buyer.

Homeowners who are willing the put in the effort to sell their property themselves, and are invested enough in that process to buy and read a book on the process, probably will do all the right things. And would so either with or without an agent.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us