The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/marti-no-a-form-709-was-filed-with-the-irs-for-30708360.aspx

Subject:  Re: Selling A LLC Date:  5/30/2013  12:50 PM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  118643 of 121572

Marti

No, a form 709 was filed with the IRS for tax year 2012 which also contained a gift of our former home to the oldest son. The two appraisals (home and LLC) totaled less than $1 million. The gift was made on December 28, 2012. This was handled by a lawyer, local to us (and 250 mi. from the LLC). Incidentally the appraisal of the cottage was a paid appraisal by an appraiser who said that so little lake front property is being sold that it was difficult to make an appraisal.

So far as I know, all this gifting was done legally. At least the lawyer has done a lot of this sort of thing for "old folks."

I have Googled "disregarded entity" and as nearly as I can tell the LLC is one (though I found the language confusing). However, taxes were filed on schedule E and not C. At least taxes were paid and the government was not cheated.

Is it still a mess?

brucedoe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us