The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Using ETFs to get Foreign divs in IRAs Date:  6/1/2013  4:58 AM
Author:  TempoAllegro Number:  118653 of 124658

I do have some areas of confusion and thank you for being patient. I have a CPA handling my taxes because I have lived abroad for a number of years, and pay taxes here in this foreign country. Until recently I have not worried about filing in the USA because I would have needed to earn above 70k in US dollars for me to pay taxes in both countries. Incomes are lower here in Asia where I live, but so are expenses, so it has been a good deal.

I had assumed and been told that I could not open a Roth IRA because I was not physically present in the USA. This turned out to be untrue as my CPA said as long as I file, I can have the Roth, and since I intend to return to home sweet home one day I want to build up a nest egg via a Roth. I am about 20 to 25 years from retirement now.

Perhaps my confusing stemmed from not u