The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-could-certainly-give-him-a-portion-of-our-money-30713570.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/1/2013  3:35 PM
Author:  ResN Number:  72341 of 75537

I could certainly give him a portion of our money and evaluate him over a year or two, but then I'm certain he'd scoff if I gave him something like $50k and I honestly don't think the benefits of a larger portfolio are available at those levels.

No offense intended, but that comment is one of the craziest things I've ever heard, and I've heard plenty of crazy things over the years. First, the guy is taking 1% of your total assets each year to basically tell you what you can find out for free in literally dozens of places. Second, he takes this money and then consistently underperforms the market. Third, you lose a ton of money over your lifetime to fund his house, car, country club membership, and kid's private education. If he scoffs at any amount of money, it's just a ploy to trick you into giving him all of it. Run, run away as fast as you can.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us