The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/murray-whos-your-broker-schwab-fido-if-you-30714012.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/1/2013  11:23 PM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  72351 of 75381

Murray, who's your broker -- Schwab, Fido? If you have a decent amount of money in your account(s) with them, you can get some decent -- and free -- financial planning advice from them. Are you or your spouse in TIAA-Cref? If yes, same thing there.

A good financial advisor is more than a stock picker. You'll want to put together a long-term financial plan, think about wills and estate plans, and stuff like that. (That's what I'm doing now.)

I know that you said he doesn't hawk Ameriprise products, but Ameriprise has a certain MLM odor about it, nonetheless. I looked at his website. He appears to be a solid Badger-type guy.

You're in Madison, yes? There are a lot of smart people in Madison, and a lot of financial advisors there, what with the university, the state capital, and all. I'd ask around a bit more, before deciding.

Fungi (NOT a financial advisor)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us