The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-minor-point-is-that-if-you-buy-the-admiral-30714853.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/2/2013  8:20 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  72383 of 75796

A minor point is that if you buy the Admiral shares of the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX) the expense ratio drops from .17 to .05 basis points. ...
Also, why wouldn't you just buy (VT), Vanguard Total World Stock ETF?

This is just a backtest program I wrote to help me do some investigations & tunings. For that purpose, the funds are better than the equivalent ETF because the funds have an earlier inception date, so there is more data.

In the case of VT, the Inception Date is Jun 25, 2008, so it's totally useless to backtest it, it just hasn't been around long enough.

Don't misunderstand me, or confuse backtest statistics I report with a stock recommendation or a list of what I have in my portfolio. There was a similar confusion with the data I posted on the IUL thread.

The data I post is in the category of "here's the backtest statistics for a readily available alternative to what is being proposed". When somebody is throwing around ballpark return data like Murray was, it's useful to look at a number of other ETFs & funds and compare the stats.

In this case, the backtest stats are in the same ballpark as the claimed returns of the cherry-picked portfolio that the FA showed Murray. (What, you think he would have shown a portfolio that UNDERperformed the S&P?)
So in this case, to me it's no contest--I'd buy&hold a set of those ETFs in a heartbeat in preference to going with the FA.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us