The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2gifts-you-sound-to-me-like-you-feet-are-just-30717819.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/4/2013  10:09 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  72422 of 75627

2gifts - you sound to me like you feet are just where there need be -- on the ground. I would only add one other thing which your approach is protecting against. That is an investor panic. More than a few folks threw in the towel and sold all (or at least well over 50%) of their equities in the first quarter of 2009. If the data I read is correct a lot (maybe half) of those folks are still out of equities. They will never recover from that one Sell Low and Buy High event.

A Sell Low Buy High deal is not the end of the world for somebody with a billion or two. But for folks whose annual spending is in the 3% of portfolio range, two such events will be a disaster.

No investor in my experience search for lower returns or higher fees. That said, on some levels you get what you pay for i.e. there is no free lunch.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us