The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-seems-to-be-very-common-these-days-in-the-30718033.aspx

Subject:  Re: When fraud flags work Date:  6/4/2013  11:58 AM
Author:  mjw3786 Number:  307052 of 308519

This seems to be very common these days. In the last 2 years I have traveled about 4-6 times [out of state] and the first 3 times I had my card declined by BofA's AMEX fraud prevention department. Upon calling they indicated that my pattern of spending was outside of the norm and this triggers an automatic freeze on the card.

This was actually annoying as it caused quite a delay for me and the 6 or so folks waiting in line behind me.

Now I make a point to contact BofA before traveling to let them know dates and travel stops / routes so they can note my account if the spending triggers one of their automatic flags. Sure it's a hassle but no more so than being far from home with no access to my primary spending card.

I've since started carrying a second card when I travel just in case, and so far I haven't had any flags or freezes on this card. The frequency of use there is much lower than primary card.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us