The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-to-give-you-another-data-point-i-used-to-30718055.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/4/2013  12:09 PM
Author:  akck Number:  72428 of 76398

Just to give you another data point, I used to manage my SIL's investments. By manage, I mean I sold off all the front loaded funds with high expense ratios her broker purchased and the I picked the indexed ETFs for her. I also went over their expenses, got them to refinance their mortgage and told them they'd have enough income in the foreseeable future. Asset allocation-wise, I couldn't bring myself to invest in bond funds, so I purchased dividend paying funds in their place, figuring to get into bonds in 2-3 years after rates start going up.

In any case, they thought they were imposing on me, thought they needed to be adults and decided to go with an advisor. When we last visited with them, I found out the advisor told them essentially what I had told them, they'd have enough income and would be able to leave an inheritance if they wanted. I didn't ask about their investments, but I'd bet they are in a bond fund now.

For me, it confirmed that I'm not far off on my planning. I'm certain our plan will survive retirement. Especially since I know expenses can be cut if needed (I pointed out to my SIL where they could cut). Of course, I won't be going with an advisor, but I have no problem with anyone who wants outside confirmation in order to have some comfort with their plan.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us