The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/igu-i-disagree-with-your-assessment-that-these-30719522.aspx

Subject:  Re: When fraud flags work Date:  6/5/2013  10:10 AM
Author:  LaraAmber Number:  307055 of 308466

IGU,

I disagree with your assessment that these stories aren't describing instances of the system working and are instead failures. They found an unusual charge, quickly contacted me to verify that yes it was me, and then allowed the charge/order to go through without interruption. The system NOT working would be them cancelling my order without telling me or shutting down my card. The other extreme of "not working" would be not monitoring my card at all and allowing everything through.

Amex has caught fraudulent charges on my card in the past before I ever had a chance to know about them.

The only way the system could work the way you describe where they automatically know if the pending charge is fraudulent or not without contacting me would require magic or for my computer to have a biometric reader to prove it really is me and not some coworker who rifled through my wallet.

Lara Amber
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us