The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/heres-a-discussion-of-the-new-estate-tax-and-30719586.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/5/2013  10:40 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  72445 of 76418

Here's a discussion of the new estate tax and portability of the exemption as between spouses, without the need for an AB Trust.

Thanks. I was not aware of this change, and it looks very good to me.

We created our existing trusts back in 1994, and the laws have changed several times since then. We have made several changes along the way due to changes in our own circumstances as well as changes in the law, and are about ready to do another change.

We review our trusts at least every 5 years to see if something needs to be changed, which is also something that should be done. You can't just put your estate plan in place and leave it as things do change in life (kids get married, grandchildren arrive, kids finish college, a spouse dies, tax laws change....)

And I think this also points out yet again why an estate plan should be done with an estate planning attorney to ensure that you are doing what you want, and that both state and federal laws have been taken into consideration.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us