The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-but-why-would-you-pay-advisor-fees-to-buy-30720551.aspx

Subject:  Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date:  6/5/2013  7:15 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  72460 of 76082

Yes, but why would you pay advisor fees to buy bonds? And I believe that it would realistically take 100's of thousands of dollars, not 10's, in order to be adequately diversified.

Everything I've read says that the bond market is unfriendly to small traders---typical minimum lot sizes 10+ bonds, and spreads are very wide. For bonds, I think funds or ETFs is the best way for a small investor.

And you don't need a FA to put you in bonds funds, so you don't need to pay a fee on that.
When I opened my Fisher account, we had a discussion about just that. My guy said that a lot of their private clients had them manage purely equities and no bonds for that very reason. They just wanted to make sure that I had other (non-Fisher) accounts that I had my fixed-income allocation in.

I could have done what the prev poster said, duplicated the Fisher trades in another account. The trade confirmations got emailed to me from UBS everytime they made a trade. That's the first thing I thought of, and I'm sure just about everybody thinks of it. Commissions would have cheaper, too. UBS was $25-$35, but etrade is $5 for me.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us