The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Question For Intercst Date:  6/5/2013  8:47 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  72464 of 88823

2gifts writes,

Note that I'm single, so I can't hold property jointly. The only way I can pass real estate to an heir without probate is through a trust.

That is not true. You do not have to be married to hold property jointly. You can put anyone else on the title to your property that you want, but it is not without ramifications including that you just made a gift to that person, that property is now part of that person's assets and could be taken in a lawsuit, etc.,


Exactly! That's why the property is in a trust.

I guess you could say I was imprecise in my language. Instead of writing "I'm single, so I can't hold property jointly", I should have written, "I'm single, it would be foolish to hold the property jointly."

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us