The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dear-sir-i-wonder-how-you-would-have-felt-at-30725066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Using ETFs to get Foreign divs in IRAs Date:  6/8/2013  7:04 PM
Author:  TempoAllegro Number:  118660 of 121444

Dear Sir:

I wonder how you would have felt at receiving such a reply as the one you just gave?
A few quotes may help you understand:

I say there is no darkness but ignorance. - Shakespeare
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -Shakespeare
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. -Shakespeare

So I know I am messed up about foreign dividends and taxes, and I will just go to the IRS web site and read forms 901, 590, 1116, and the instructions to 1040 very carefully. Last I heard, the IRS was just fine with me (no pun intended), but I doubt I’ll ask questions ‘round here too soon again.

Have you heard this one about lawyers?

Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished. - Jeremy Bentham

Perhaps there should be a corollary for errant CPAs:
“Accountants are the only persons in whom ignorance of the tax laws are not fined”?

You spanked me pretty hard, but all in good fun. At this point I think I will just avoid dividends, and avoid the tax board! Good luck to all.

TempoAllegro
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us