The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/who-now-encourages-you-to-drive-that-car-until-30731186.aspx

Subject:  Re: Could I Have an "Attaboy!" Date:  6/12/2013  3:28 PM
Author:  JohnEBgood Number:  307075 of 308882

Who now encourages you to drive that car until the wheels fall off and to start making the same payments into a automotive savings account to cover major service and repairs as well as build up cash to pay down on the next vehicle so you don't have to get another car loan...

Awww.....here I was thinking that maybe I deserve a new car ;o)

Isn't it dangerous when the wheels fall off? Hey....in my younger years that was always a possiblity. I remember actually buying USED
tires.....I think they called them retreads. One night I was driving
on a thruway and the side wall blew out on one of them. I don't believe
in angels, etc., but SOMETHING saved me that night. No damage to me or the car, and a friendly tow truck showed up, towed me in to the
gas station (of course I didn't have a spare), and sold me another tire at a decent price.

Maybe God (?) tries to keep young people alive. Anyway, today I depend on my vehicles, and I don't want any mechanical or safety issues.

Besides (devil's advocate in me speaking), is taking out a loan to buy a new car necessarily a BAD thing? When I got this car (in 2009) a 4% loan was very attractive. These days, I think the rates are much lower.
If I got a good price for the trade in, what would be so terrible about
replacing this 4 yr old Civic with a brand new car?

Jack
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us