The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Taxes and roommates Date:  6/17/2013  1:52 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  118701 of 127613

I wasn't necessarily after simplicity.

If you want to structure things with your son sub-leasing to some roommates, he would have to report the rental income from the roommates, but he'd also have one significant expense - a portion of the rent he pays to you. If he kept utilities in his name, he'd also have an expense for a portion of those utilities.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us