The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Taxes and roommates Date:  6/17/2013  1:59 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  118702 of 127638

If you want to structure things with your son sub-leasing to some roommates, he would have to report the rental income from the roommates, but he'd also have one significant expense - a portion of the rent he pays to you. If he kept utilities in his name, he'd also have an expense for a portion of those utilities.

I was thinking that he would have the utilities in his name, so if he had 2 roommates, would he deduct 2/3 of the utilities as an expense? That seems to make sense to me.

How would that work on having any portion of the rent deductible as an expense for him?

I am thinking that all of this would be reportable on Schedule E for him. Is that correct?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us