The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Taxes and roommates Date:  6/17/2013  2:55 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  118703 of 123001

I was thinking that he would have the utilities in his name, so if he had 2 roommates, would he deduct 2/3 of the utilities as an expense? That seems to make sense to me.

Sure. Or depending on the facts of the situation, perhaps some other allocation method would work. (Maybe you buy a duplex, he lives in one unit