The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

Subject:  For profit insurance: another horror story Date:  6/20/2013  4:21 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  50251 of 76946

Back in March when SGSpouse and I were still struggling to understand what was happening to her, we went to the emergency room one night. Her neck was in incredible, continuous pain. She had not been able to sleep for a couple of nights and was unable to do anything but lie down and ache.

She had gotten a preliminary diagnosis of lupus only days earlier. (It turned out not to be lupus, but a closely related auto immune disease, MCTD. We didn't know that at the time.) She didn't think the neck pain was likely to be the "lupus" because previously, the "lupus" flare-ups had only been in her knees and shoulders. This was different. For a couple of days she kept hoping this was an unrelated neck pain that would go away if she rested. But it didn't go away. It got worse.

Finally, during the second night of agony, I convinced her to let me take her to the emergency room so see if they could offer at least some pain relief that would allow her to sleep. Maybe they would even be able to find and treat the root cause. We tried to call our insurance company prior to and during the emer