The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-in-california-too-the-writers-guild-has-30748380.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obamacare 'Rate Shock' in California Date:  6/25/2013  2:43 AM
Author:  oceanbluela Number:  72508 of 76418

I'm in California, too. The Writers Guild has provided my insurance for 23 years, provided I made the Guild minimum every year, or had a big earning year and so got coverage for the next year plus one or two extra points to bank for future years when my earnings didn't quite make it. My partner had been self employed for many years and covered her own insurance. When her annual premium reached 12000 about 7 years ago, I was able to put her on my WGA insurance as my domestic partner. My other married (and straight) writer friends had to make no additional payment to cover their spouse because the government recognized their marriages. Being gay, and because of DOMA and various other laws, the insurance she received as my partner is considered income to me, so I pay roughly 4000 a year in taxes on that "Income". Don't get me wrong... I'm grateful that I can have her on my insurance as my partner. But it infuriates me that unlike most everyone else who is allowed to insure their spouses for free, I have to pay for mine. Over the last 7 years, that has cost me almost $30,000. I'm hoping the Supreme Court knocks down DOMA this week, as well as the Prop8 case in CA so we can be married and then hopefully soon, not have to pay that discriminatory tax. Just think... I'd have so much more to invest!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me... Oh yeah, and the millions just like me. :-)

Vivienne
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us