The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/assuming-that-the-money-was-able-to-be-lent-out-30750141.aspx

Subject:  Re: UK, NL, AUS ban mutual fund commissions Date:  6/26/2013  8:45 AM
Author:  PosFCF Number:  72517 of 76398

Assuming that the money was able to be lent out at 2% for the entire term of the loan, the total interest that could have been earned for the quarters reported so far was:

Yeah, OK.

I borrow at .25% on Monday, lent it back to the Fed on Wednesday out of payments made to me by the Fed on previously lent money and then talk someone into believing I only made a percent for a few days. Do you honestly believe that $85 billion a month is being lent $10 million at a time for a few days only? Then how did the Fed's balance sheet balloon to over $3. trillion? Under your scenario of an average of $10M per copy the balance should be in the low billions, not low trillions, no?

I mean common sense has to come into this somewhere. The report you cite is from 2 years after the heyday of the crisis, yet the Fed is still buying $85 billion per month.

While searching for a more realistic number that your $10 million, and perhaps to shoot down my belief that we're all getting fleeced without even saying "Baaaa" about it, I did a Google and came up with the following PBS segment. At the time of filming, the Fed was still apparently fighting having to disclose to the US citizens what and how it was obligating them, so the clip is short on the hardest of data that I'd like to see, but gives an approximation by the PBS tally that is quite a bit bigger than the $700 Billion number. As the clip indicated, not all of that extra was lent out, some was just in the form of guarantees. But those guarantees have a value (or why ask for them) and if the situation had gone further south, those guarantees would have (presumably) had to be honored by the Fed.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/economy/the-true-cost-o...

But, like you indicate, nothing to see here, move along.....

Poz
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us