The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-will-reply-to-the-rather-rude-quotdont-you-30751974.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRS question Date:  6/27/2013  10:27 AM
Author:  StockGoddess Number:  118760 of 121429

I will reply to the rather rude "don't you care" reply. Yes I run credit checks. The perfect renter does not exist so you talk and listen. He told me up front about the black mark I would find on his credit. He was a contractor in Florida when the real estate market suddenly tanked ( bubble) . He foolishly spent his money on food and couldn't afford the tax bill at the end of the year. His credit report showed every other bill paid and On Time. His wife and daughter were living in another state with in laws while he lived and worked here using a friends trailer to sleep. Last month he delivered his rent in person to my door because be didnt want it to be a day late via mail. He was the only prospective tenant who didn't make my stomach hurt...and in four years the rent has never been late. Not once.

So hopefully this answers your rather judgemental snipe about don't I care when people don't pay their bills. Life happens. He's probably the best and most conscientious renter I've ever had.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us