The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Foreign tax on dividend Date:  6/27/2013  1:08 PM
Author:  gdett2 Number:  118767 of 127545


do I have to worry about foreign capital gain tax withholding too?


VE is an ADR. It is listed on a US exchange and all taxable transactions occur in the US. Since they are in your IRA, it is a non-event for the IRS.

As an aside, I sold all my VE when Hollande was elected.

On the taxable account vs IRA for these foreign stocks, the dollars you are credited for the foreign tax withholding are taken by the IRS as taxes you pay here. You have to fill-out a bunch of forms for each. Inside an IRA, no paperwork. The tax difference is normally zero to small.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us