The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Foreign tax on dividend Date:  6/27/2013  1:23 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118768 of 127753

On the taxable account vs IRA for these foreign stocks, the dollars you are credited for the foreign tax withholding are taken by the IRS as taxes you pay here. You have to fill-out a bunch of forms for each.

That depends on your holdings and the amount of foreign tax paid. For many taxpayers it's just one line on the 1040 and you're done. See the instructions for Form 1116.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us