The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/heres-why-the-collector-typically-wont-leave-a-30758469.aspx

Subject:  Re: We have accepted an offer on our home Date:  7/1/2013  9:40 PM
Author:  CCinOC Number:  125714 of 127679

Here's why the collector typically won't leave a detailed message on an answering machine.

THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT
As amended by Public Law 104-208, 110 Stat. 3009 (Sept. 30, 1996)

§ 805 (b) COMMUNICATION WITH THIRD PARTIES. Except as provided in section 804, without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector, or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, or as reasonably necessary to effectuate a postjudgment judicial remedy, a debt collector may not communicate, in connection with the collection of any debt, with any person other than a consumer, his attorney, a consumer reporting agency if otherwise permitted by law, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, or the attorney of the debt collector.

~ and ~

THE PRIVACY ACT OF 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a, As Amended

§ 552a. Records maintained on individuals (b) Conditions of disclosure

No agency shall disclose any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any person, or to another agency, except pursuant to a written request by, or with the prior written consent of, the individual to whom the record pertains, unless disclosure of the record would be--[etc.]

I'm working on a short sale and have permission of the debtor to speak with his servicing lender. What I have to go through every time I want to speak with a collector would satisfy Edward Snowden.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us