The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fyi-android-inserts-nsa-quottrojansquot-30769096.aspx

Subject:  FYI: Android inserts NSA "trojans" Date:  7/10/2013  9:52 AM
Author:  notehound Number:  428342 of 461356

...directly into the operating system.

Security-Enhanced Android: NSA Edition

...there’s a certain irony that NSA programmers are now refining code that Google has approved for the company’s mobile operating system, Android. Google spokeswoman Gina Scigliano confirms that the company has already inserted some of the NSA’s programming in Android OS. “All Android code and contributors are publicly available for review at source.android.com,” Scigliano says, declining to comment further...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-03/security-enh...

Well, that certainly makes me feel more secure with my smart phone - so long as I don't do any of the following using my Android device:

1. Call (or receive a call from) the "wrong" country codes.

2. Do a web search for any of the "wrong" sorts of subjects.

3. Have the names, phone numbers or pictures of the "wrong" sort of people in my phone/e-mail/address book.

4. Use any of the "wrong" sorts of words in any of my E-mails.

5. Carry my smart phone into any of the "wrong" sorts of GPS-located areas.

The nice thing about having NSA code built into the smart phone is that it could enable the NSA to limit its invasive surveillance of citizens to those whose behaviors "activate" one of the above-listed sorts of "trip wires" in the code so the subject can be tracked.

Unfortunately, the same sort of code could also be used to activate surveillance of or target individuals who might:

6. Communicate with other people or try to assemble with other people in the the "wrong" political party or protest group (PETA, Code Pink, Tea Party, etc.).

7. Say or write the "wrong" sorts of words about our government, its agencies, its tax-collection policies or its military activities.

8. Oppose the then-existing political leadership or support the "wrong" political candidates.

The possibilities are endless - and they all make me feel so much safer, since I'm sure that each of the possibilities will help the government to track down the "bad guys."

Having the NSA activation codes pre-loaded right in the software makes me feel so much safer. Being protected is such a cozy feeling and I know I have nothing to worry about or fear, so long as I don't do anything "wrong."

;-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us