The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-recently-last-couple-of-years-became-a-30769097.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mechanical Investing and the Business of Lif Date:  7/10/2013  9:53 AM
Author:  elann Number:  244217 of 253135

I recently (last couple of years) became a libertarian (previously I was republican, and in my college years I was a democrat... funny how that works). This statement above is one of the "eye openers" that got me going. The fact that income is necessary at all times because you can't even live in "your" house even after you've paid your mortgage really means that either the government is somehow legally stealing from you or the house was never yours to begin with. And all this time I thought the government was us, the people... How did we end up taxing ourselves? Nobody wants to pay taxes and yet there's always more and more taxes to be paid.

Do you want a road leading to your house? Do you want street lights? Storm drains? Do you want police and fire protection? Those are all local services and the most sensible way to fund them is through a tax on the property that benefits from them.

We tax ourselves because we are collectively responsible for The Commons.

I'm not saying the government doesn't over-reach sometimes, or even often, but there are many things we all want that cannot be provided any other way.

I don't know if the balance between income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, etc., is optimal. But some balance is needed so that we each more closely pay for the services we use.

Elan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us