The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-they-believe-it-is-infanticide-then-why-do-all-30769770.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: When should abortion be legal/banned Date:  7/10/2013  4:38 PM
Author:  albaby1 Number:  1888263 of 1950700

If they believe it is infanticide then why do all their laws omit sanctions against the mother but only against the person performing the abortion?

When I've raised that question, the answer I've always gotten is that it is the doctor who performs the procedure and actually commits the infanticide. The other, more practical, response is that you only need to have severe penalties against the doctors - put the doctor in jail, and you don't need to jail the fifty or hundred (or however many) accessory mothers he practiced on.

I suspect that another real answer is that jailing mothers is politically unpopular, so that even anti-abortion advocates who do beleive that these women should be penalized can't get much support for including it in actual legislative proposals. I suspect (unfortunately) that another real reason is the same as the reason why we don't have very stringent DUI laws here in the U.S.: they're afraid that even though it's horrible and results in the (possible, in the case of DUI) death of another person, there's a good chance that someone they know and love might do it, and so they would rather not punish it to the degree it ought to be punished.

Albaby
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us