The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/goofyhoofy-i-know-of-two-people-both-staunch-30770382.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/11/2013  12:46 AM
Author:  Radish Number:  688557 of 756954

Goofyhoofy,

I know of two people - both staunch Republicans - who will be disenfranchised, absent someone taking time off from work and motoring them somewhere to stand in line and get "a government approved ID." Presumably that won't be impossibly difficult, since both have had drivers' licenses in the past (now expired),

It won't be difficult. So they aren't disenfranchised.

but it is not hard to imagine that it will be very difficult for some people, which is exactly what these laws are aimed at.

Yes, it is hard to imagine. The worst case I can possibly think of is someone perpetually in ICU. And then I can think of several ways it would be possible for them to get a state-issued ID.

And even if they couldn't, how many people like this can there possibly be? Obviously, very obviously, not enough for anyone to go to any significant trouble to disenfranchise them. And a lot of effort is being put into voter ID laws. It's just ridiculous to think that disenfranchising a handful of people is their goal.

My father, age 93. My father-in-law, age 89. Neither has a valid "government approved" ID. Both cannot use public transportation, nor can they drive. So unless you are bringing the "government" to them, they are, by definition, disenfranchised.

That's absurd. My father had a state-issued photo ID when he was 93. He couldn't use public transportation, indeed there wasn't any anywhere near his city unless you count emergency-service ambulances, nor could he drive. He was in an assisted-care facility for a time, surrounded by elderly people who couldn't drive or use public transportation. They all had ID's too... you couldn't be a patient in that facility without one. It's just not that hard to get an ID. Clearly, they are not "by definition disenfranchised"... that's totally ridiculous.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us