The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-respectfully-disagree-do-you-know-one-wingnut-30770518.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: When should abortion be legal/banned Date:  7/11/2013  7:54 AM
Author:  albaby1 Number:  1888347 of 1950901

I respectfully disagree. Do you know one wingnut who would support feeding babies or giving them health care once they are born? Do you know one wingnut who would allow abortion causing pesticides to be controlled? Do you remember Romney saying he would get rid of the EPA? They don't care about facts or fetuses but they desperately want to control society.

Yes, I do - but that's not really relevant. Most (if not all) moral systems recognize that there can be different moral implications between action and inaction. There is a difference between not supporting social programs and infanticide. Indeed, many (if not most) folks who support those social programs have enough personal wealth that if they donated it all, it would save the lives of children in other nations. This does not mean that they are hypocrites, either - it just means that they fall on a different point on the spectrum of assigning moral weight to inaction vs action, and a different sense of what level of society (group vs. individual) that burden falls.

Make no mistake - every person I've spoken to IRL that opposes abortion genuinely believed that it was a form of infanticide, and one can oppose infanticide without necessarily supporting S-CHIP.

Albaby
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us