The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-understand-how-folks-come-to-the-30770672.aspx

Subject:  Re: Big Problems wth LongTermCare Insurance Date:  7/11/2013  9:47 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  72552 of 75530

I don't understand how folks come to the conclusion that the government should somehow protect people from having to use their own money for nursing home stays. Before the taxpayer picks up the tab, the person in need of nursing home care should be forced to exhaust all of their personal funds. I think a strong argument can be made that the same person's immediate family (adult kids) should pay too, at least before the taxpayers are called to pick up the tab.

I'm with you on the part about people having to use their own assets prior to the government stepping in to provide assistance. But I cannot possibly disagree more with the thinking that someone's adult children should then be held responsible for their long term care. The adult children have no say in how their parents saved or spent throughout their lives. The adult children have no say in how their parents did or did not take care of themselves. In fact, some parents did not even raise their children (DH was the only one of his siblings to be raised in foster care), and so I would not expect those children to now be held accountable for their parents' expenses, medical or otherwise.

I don't see nursing home care any differently than any other expense where Person A cannot make Person B responsible for their debts without Person B explicitly signing and agreeing to that. I don't see why nursing home expenses should be any different.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us