The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Conservative Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dwdonhoff-quotzimmerman-shot-martin-because-30770887.aspx

Subject:  Re: Zimmerman: Judge jumps shark Date:  7/11/2013  11:39 AM
Author:  MotleyFooley Number:  121275 of 137139

Dwdonhoff: "Zimmerman shot Martin because Martin was applying his street fighting skills on Zimmerman. The cell phone messages show this obsession with street fighting to be fact."

To own a handgun in Florida, you have to complete a gun safety course. If in addition to that training, Zimmerman went to a gun range to practice firing his weapon in the weeks and months before the incident, would you use that as evidence of his "obsession" to actually use his weapon on someone? Would going to a gun range indicate that he didn't just want to own the gun "for protection" but actually wanted to use it on someone?

This information could be viewed in the same light as your assertion above with one exception - street fighting is not instantly lethal the way using a gun is, and cell phone messages about street fighting aren't the same as hours spent actually practicing street fighting.

While Martin was walking down the street with Skittles and Iced Tea in hand, he was clearly not interested in that moment to use any kind of street fighting skills he may or may not have had.

In contrast, Zimmerman ignored requests by police to stay in his car, made various references to how criminals always get away and how he wasn't going to let that happen, and then carried his gun with him into an uncertain situation that he, himself, was creating. If anyone in this sad circumstance had an obsession, it was Zimmerman.

MotleyFooley

P.S. My brother and I exchange numerous text messages which are rife with quotes and references from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Caddyshack" and "Fletch". Do those messages indicate my "obsession" with cutting class, becoming a golf caddy and erstwhile investigative reporter under the byline of Jane Doe? LOL
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us