The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-has-been-mentioned-very-poor-people-cannot-30770976.aspx

Subject:  Re: Big Problems wth LongTermCare Insurance Date:  7/11/2013  12:33 PM
Author:  akck Number:  72557 of 75402

As has been mentioned, very poor people cannot afford LTC, but they don't need it because there are no assets to protect and Medicaid will provide the nursing home care. Very rich people have plenty of assets and so don't need LTC because they can afford to pay for their own care and have their spouse be able to live after they are gone. It is mostly those of us in the middle who have just enough for our retirement that need to protect assets so that the surviving spouse has enough to live on after the first spouse passes if that first spouse needs nursing home care.

This is the main reason why we'll be getting LTCi when I retire. While I have no desire to ever need LTC, circumstances may dictate that I can't do anything about it beforehand. I wouldn't want my spouse to live in poverty because of the LTC cost, just as I wouldn't want to either.

Once single for whatever reason, a determination will need to be made to continue coverage. Then it become a matter if protecting assets for an inheritance.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us