The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/please-help-me-democrats-ive-been-30771669.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/11/2013  7:06 PM
Author:  307wolverine Number:  688615 of 734461

Please help me Democrats! I've been disenfranchised!

I didn't get to vote in the 2008 election. I was in TX finishing up some training for the oil patch when Hurricane Ike hit. My plan was to finish up training and be in CO long enough to meet their 30 day residency requirement to vote, so I never bothered to register in TX to vote.

My time in TX was extended three weeks. I had no idea what they were going to do with our class. We were in the middle of our oral finals when we got the word to seek safety somewhere. All we'd get was "the building is closed. Call back tomorrow" on the company hotline.

Of course, Houston was without power for a very long time, so I reckon that registering folks to vote took a backseat to other concerns anyway.

I got to CO two weeks before the election. I was clearly more disenfranchised than any of the sob stories offered by our liberal guests, yet I did not whine. I just chalked it up to one of life's unfortunate incidents.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us