The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jim2b-i-have-missed-about-13-elections-due-to-30771715.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/11/2013  7:47 PM
Author:  Radish Number:  688619 of 757765

Jim2B,

I have missed about 1/3 elections due to these last minute changes. ... Actually my solution (which I started doing a couple of years ago) is to *always* get an absentee ballot.

You know, when I travel, I can't buy a Big Mac at my home McDonald's. But guess what? I can buy one at whatever McDonald's happens to be where I travel to! And even though my MasterCard is issued by my bank at home, I can still use it at a McDonald's in some other city! Or even in another state! Wow!!

There's really no reason why the government couldn't allow you to vote at any polling place in the country. The electronic voting booths could simply present the correct ballot for your place of residence. And if they ever started actually, you know, checking to see if people who claim to be authorized to vote really are, it wouldn't be any harder for them to check that at any polling place than it is for MasterCard to check that the purchase you want to make anywhere in the world is valid and within your credit limit.

Absentee ballots are a major source of fraud. Probably there'd be no real need for >99% of them if you could vote at any polling place.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us