The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-for-sure-that-there-are-groups-that-charter-30771732.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/11/2013  7:59 PM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  688621 of 749361

I know for sure that there are groups that charter buses to take them to government offices in several states, so they can get the freebies. It's illegal, of course, but I can't imagine that the government employees at those offices don't know that tour buses are pulling up... and they don't do anything about it.

Of course this is the big difference between charity and government handouts.

With a charitable organization, there is a bias to do as much with the limited amount you have, so you really hate fraud.

At a government operation, the main focus is to ensure job security and that means the more clients, the more security the more funding the more promotions for staff and more power for the executive set.

Positive incentives to serve society for charity, negative incentives to serve society for government.

Now this is not remotely to say there is no role for government, just to scream, that were a private sector solution is possible a private sector solution is preferable.

This to me, is the Achilles heel of ObamaCare. The cost is not going to go down, there is zero incentive for the cost to go down, once the structure is in place. There are only negative incentives for government to function well.

that is the nature of the beast. The more government you put in the way, the less effective cost containment is in a system. That is why medical care is such a mess now. Replacing people who want to make a profit with people who want to expand their funding to consolidate power is friggin insane

and on and on
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us