The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ill-be-blunt-you-are-being-emotional-and-30772607.aspx

Subject:  Re: Moving from S&P to Stable Value Fund Date:  7/12/2013  12:23 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  72587 of 75877

I'll be blunt. You are being emotional and irrational.

On the other hand, any successful retirement plan must take into account the fact that virtually all people are emotional and irrational. We are each emotional and irrational in our own way.

So you need to find a plan that meets two needs. It needs to let you sleep at night, and it needs to have a good chance of success.

I like the suggestions for you to look at the Mechanical Investing board. They have several ways of looking at stocks and the market that attempt to remove as much emotion from the process as they can. It's also important to understand your own temperament - what things bother you and what things don't.

As to timing, you are correct that you can't avoid every little downdraft in the market. However, there is decent evidence that you can use some strategies to avoid the largest part of big market drops. The Mechanical Investing board would be the place to check those out. One I particularly like is the mungofitch 99 day rule. But there are other "bear catchers" they also look at.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us