The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-done-since-we-are-largely-talking-in-circles-30772761.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: When should abortion be legal/banned Date:  7/12/2013  1:46 PM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  1888656 of 1951393

I am done since we are largely talking in circles but I wanted to focus on your last comment:

Law should only consist of what we all (or most) agree with as common values. That is the nature of democracy. Anything that does not meet that definition should not be forced on the populace.

Really? So if most of us, as part of our common values, believed that gay marriage should be illegal, you would be OK with that?

What if most of us wanted to go to war in Iran? Or most of us wanted to cancel ACA? Would you force ACA on the populace if the majority no longer wanted it?

Would you support a restriction on abortion based on weeks if there was majority support for such?

I don't think majority opinion is necessarily how we should make decisions. I don't know why you would support such.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us