The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/-law-should-only-consist-of-what-we-all-or-most-30772783.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: When should abortion be legal/banned Date:  7/12/2013  1:58 PM
Author:  nigelwhalmsley Number:  1888657 of 1951084

[ Law should only consist of what we all (or most) agree with as common values. That is the nature of democracy. Anything that does not meet that definition should not be forced on the populace. ]

"Really? So if most of us, as part of our common values, believed that gay marriage should be illegal, you would be OK with that?"

I see where you are going with these examples. What you are overlooking is that one of the common values we have is that we must abide by our own set of rules - the Constitution. So yes, and I believe you made the point earlier, that ultimately society can and does change the rules, based on what we all (or most) want. Gay marriage is a good example, because it IS changing, and within a generation or two no one will think twice about a same sex marriage.

As for going to war, that isn't something that is directly up to society. We've seen some recent examples that show a Commander in Chief can commit to wars that have not been approved by our society citizens at all. But we can correct those things we find in opposition to out beliefs at the ballot box. When we are divided, politically speaking, we are our own checks and balances, and power shifts between the parties over time.

"I don't think majority opinion is necessarily how we should make decisions. I don't know why you would support such."

Democracy is ultimately about majority rule, along with the rule of law requirement. Not necessarily on a decision by decision basis, though.

Thanks for a reasonable discussion.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us