The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/with-absentee-voting-theres-no-protection-30775549.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/13/2013  8:29 AM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  688753 of 744773

With absentee voting there's no protection whatsoever against selling votes, and you really have no way of knowing who actually cast the vote either.

I must say personally, I can not think of a manner of voter fraud that could possibly be less effective or more costly. Can't see this as being a problem, takes way too much effort and time, for that kind of monitoring for the subset of folks who would sell their vote and really care about who was going to win -- that is of course if you are very stringent in who can get their hands on an absentee ballot of course.

As far as who is casting the vote? Well it took as much effort if you demand the same proof to get an absentee ballot as in person, so it is just a different day. If you sell your vote in person or on-line doesn't seem like more than a distinction without a difference to me so it is really pretty close to identical IMO

As log as you are very stringent in giving out the ballots, I still do not see it as anything more than very marginally more open to corruption than in person voting

Note: Now if getting the ballots is NOT closely verified, this is a disaster, as I expect it is today.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us