The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: investment property Date:  7/13/2013  1:04 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  118860 of 127613

was wondering, is it possible to sell my rental house and instead of reinvesting in another rental or investment property, can I invest in a REIT and not pay capitol gains? I think they call it a 1031 exchange.

No. You have 2 issues:

- REITs are generally sold as either stocks or partnerships, neither of which is eligible for a 1031 exchange
- 1031 exchanges must be 'like-kind', so you need to buy another real property in the US if what you are selling is real property in the US

See the instructions for IRS form 8824 for more information.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us