The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Beach Rental Property Date:  7/14/2013  7:15 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  118865 of 127613

Rental real estate is, by definition, a passive activity.

Not so much for vacation rentals, so if your average rental is less than 7 days, you may be needing to file a schedule c instead of e. No documentation for this at my fingertips, but a vacation rental owner board I frequent has been reporting increasing IRS audits that determine they need to file schedule C, with the +/- 7 day line in the sand being one of the determining factors. There are others.

You may very well be able to deduct the loss against ordinary income. Talk with a tax pro who is familiar with this type of investment. This book is also a good start, but he insists you can file schedule E: Also check out the Yahoo board:

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us