The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gene-and-hlsnyder-sorry-for-the-delay-1-the-30777425.aspx

Subject:  Re: MLPs in an IRA Date:  7/15/2013  6:35 AM
Author:  TMFHockeypop Number:  118867 of 121565

Gene and Hlsnyder -- Sorry for the delay.

1. The stupid reason I wasn't looking at LNCO was that the dividend percentage at TMF was miss-marked compared to LINE on the QUOTE line. That happens ALL the time. You always need to look at the STATS tab to find the true dividend percentage vs the current price. There was a difference of about 8% as I remember.

2. A little more accurately there is a bit more "expense" between most MLPs and their tax-deferred unit constructs. Comparing their charts there is some divergence.

3. Also, it's almost impossible to sell a MLP in an after-tax account without experiencing lots of catch-up taxes. Most advisors recommend keeping them until you give them to your children in your estate. My understanding is that you might remedy that using something like LINE in tax-deferred. As Phil seemed to say, with some moderation LINE in a tax-deferred should incur little UBIT, and be eligible for sale eventually.

4. FWIW I bought and sold LINE for a small profit based upon a discussion at Value Hounds (and needed to be silent during that period as a condition of TMF disclosure). I kinda hate MLPs since I was badly burned in the early 80's, stuck my toe in here, and pulled it out.

Thanks!

Bob
RYR Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us