The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lowstudent-so-the-only-thing-you-would-need-to-do-30781694.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPMarti Date:  7/17/2013  5:14 AM
Author:  Radish Number:  689145 of 757323

lowstudent,

So the only thing you would need to do would be to have rules that anyplace with more than say 6 registered voters from the same address would require signature verification.

I'm not following the reasoning here. Let's say I go to a sporting event and approach many people telling them that I'd be willing to pay $x for their absentee ballot, and instruct the ones who sound interested on how to register to vote and request a ballot, and that I'll meet them at a future game. They bring their signed ballot to that future game, and I take the ballots and hand out the $x's.

Now I can vote as many times as I found people willing to take my money. All the addresses of the ballots are different. All the signatures are valid.

People actually do this now, mind you.

I think absentee ballots are quite valuable, and again not hard to protect to a degree that makes massive corruption possible without a huge investment of effort

One should also keep in mind that the tighter you control the registration process and the updating of voter lists (as people move, die, are convicted of crimes, and so forth) and the proper identification of persons registering and voting, so that only people actually authorized by law to vote can vote at a polling place or using an absentee ballot, and can vote only once... then buying absentee ballots becomes more and more cost-effective compared to other methods of illegal voting.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us